Re: [stella] Boulderdash - musings and screen demos

Subject: Re: [stella] Boulderdash - musings and screen demos
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:30:41 +0200
Christopher:
> Ouch, okay guess I never played Boulderdash as much as I thought.

> Can all of these objects appear on every level? Or can they be limited
> somewhat (ie: levels can have butterflies or ameoba but not both)?
> With 3 bits you can express 8 different objects which might be enough
> if you redefine their meaning on a level by level basis.

There are 16 different objects in the first Boulderdash (info copied
from level editor):
0 Boulder
1 Diamond
2 Magic wall
3 Brick wall
4 Steel wall
5 Expanding wall
6 Rockford
7 Dirt
8 Firefly
9 Butterfly
A Amoeba
B Slime
C Hidden out
D Visible out
E In
F Space

I am not sure if you can always limit that to 8. But if you use an object
based RLE compression as Andrew suggested, you are not limited to 2^n.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |