Re: [stella] Big Dig - update and musings

Subject: Re: [stella] Big Dig - update and musings
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:10:30 +1000
Hi Chris

Nice work so far.

> Currently, every "game cycle" all blocks are checked to see if they can
fall. This is done by checking to see if the block below is a different
(non-empty) colour. If so, then that block is flagged as anchored and all
blocks in its group (same colour & touching) are also flagged.

Why can't you do one row per frame, going from the bottom, up?  Then you'd
get a slightly perceptible - but I think good-looking - lag between when the
bottom section of a group falls, and the top.  You'd only need to test 10
blocks/frame, and it would take only 10 frames to do the whole screen.
You'd only need a minor mod to a player to not allow movement while block
falling was in progress - or restrict left/right if the current row is being
checked - or somesuch.

Perhaps, too, the blocks could fall in smoother fashion?  That is, do it
over 4 steps or so?

I did manage to get stuck in a configuration where the screen was shuddering
up and down and I couldn't do anything - I took a snapshot of that
configuration - not sure if that was a bug, normal gameplay with the glitch
you mentioned, or I'm just being moronic.  Anyway, shot attached.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

PS:  I far prefer the graphics without the black lines between the blocks.
Sorry!