Re: [stella] RPG Kernal

Subject: Re: [stella] RPG Kernal
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:45:27 +0200
Paul wrote:
>The flicker doesn't look so good on emulators, but it's barely
>noticeable at all on my TV.

You should try the phosphorescent effect of the lastest z26win.

>See what you guys think and if you have any suggestions.

I have never been a huge fan of RPG, so don't expect to many game play
suggestions.

But maybe I can give you some programming hints:

1. You should reverse the use of X and Y here:
  lda 0080,y
  and #0f
  tax
  lda f000,x
  sta dd
  lda 0080,y
  and #f0
  tax
  lda f000,x
  sta df
This will save you two bytes multiple times.

Same here:
  lda  f3d8,x
  sta  0080,y
  lda  f3e2,x
  sta  0088,y

2. Rewrite the code above into:
  lda 80,x
  and #0f
  tay
  lda f000,y
  sta dd
  tya			; !
  eor 80,x        ; !
  tay
  lda f000,y
  sta df
Saves another byte. :-)

3. Inside the kernel, why are you *always* using X for storing HMMx
and COLUPF?

4. Maybe using VDELPx for at least one player might help making your
timing a bit easier.

5. Kernel: sta $2d ???

6. Why no source code? ;-)

Have fun!