Re: [stella] EEPROM or FLASH for Bankswitching PCBs

Subject: Re: [stella] EEPROM or FLASH for Bankswitching PCBs
From: Joe Grand <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 14:02:35 -0400
You would want to use an EEPROM that is pin-compatible so you can drop it straight in. I would suggest picking up a 28C64 EEPROM device, like the Atmel AT28C64B-15PC. You can buy them at DigiKey (http://www.digikey.com) though they are slightly more costly than standard UV EPROMs ($4.30 each, less in quantity).

Just to clarify, a 2764 EPROM is 8K, not 16K. If you wanted 16K, you would use a 27128 EPROM (or a 28C128 EEPROM, which DigiKey doesn't carry). And, if you wanted 32K, you would use a 27256 EPROM (or a 28C256 EEPROM, which can get quite expensive).

Using a EEPROM like this would definetely make the development cycle a little easier, since you don't have to wait for the EPROMs to be erased, which can sometimes take over 20 minutes. EEPROM can simply be erased and reprogrammed right away.

Hope that helps,

Joe
Pixels Past
Atari 2600 SCSIcide