Re: [stella] MARIA - calling all 7800 programmers

Subject: Re: [stella] MARIA - calling all 7800 programmers
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:42:14 -0400
While this mailing list is not so busy the added traffic would be a problem, my big objection would be the archives. The ability to search through the Stella list archives is a tremendous tool.

This is an excellent point. When I'm Googling for "Visual Basic" now-a-days, it's awful hard to search for *just* VB6 or *just* VB.NET. Keeping everything on separate lists with separate search interfaces would be awful important. Then you've got the two permanently separated in a machine-readable fashion.

Eckhard Stolberg wrote:
I think it would be nice, if we could discuss 7800 programming here.
Being a dial-up user I prefer mailing-lists over web based forums.

I second that.

Maybe we could make an agreement that all 7800 only related posts start
with something like [7800]. So everybody who wants to can easily filter
those messages.

The only problem there is when someone doesn't. I mean, logically you're creating the "other list" with a bitflag, but the bitflag's only human-readable and human-enforceable. Why not get Biglist to start up the suggested "Maria" group, or head on over to Yahoo Groups and set something up -- then you could even add digest delivery (if you like that kinda thing; I do: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/digestHandler ;^D) to keep the traffic in your inbox to a minimum. That said, I also prefer mailing lists to bulletin boards.

At any rate, as a dba I've always favored keeping distinctions machine-enforceable.

$0.02

Ruffin Bailey