Re: [stella] Have kernel, need game!

Subject: Re: [stella] Have kernel, need game!
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 21 Jun 2003 14:34:24 -0000
Very cool.
(Man now I feel even worse that my project is perpetually stalled)

> Finally I will need some game IDEAs. Here are mine:
> - a paddle game, with a really fast scrolling cave, where you have to
>   avoid crashing into the walls and occasionally or evade shoot some
>   enemy objects
> - a game like this helicopter Jave applet where you only have to press a
>   button to control the height

I'd vote for the latter.
For people who don't know, the game he's talking about (I think) is
"SFCave": here's Java
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA003665/others/javacave-e.html
and the version I first met, a great palm app:
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA003665/index-e.html
(tho it was slow on my color palm, fast on my old monochrome)

I dunno what else would be cool to throw in, in terms of obstacles...
maybe have 3 waves: normal cave, cave with obstacles, cave with
moving obstacles (might be too tough?) and then repeat, faster
and/or with a thinner cave.

Another variation that reflects my interest with gravity in
games (very easy to do, just have a Y-speed, and every click,
add 1 to the Y-speed in a downard direction, and pressing
thrust adds some value to the Y-speed in an upward direction.)
would be to add a "joust" like control scheme as an option.
(I know, shades of stalled joustpong).  This would make an experience
a bit like NES "Balloon Fight"...

Oy. If anyone experienced person feels like collaborating on
finishing Flap: the JoustPong experience...(It's a proven game idea,
I've done it for Palm and Java, I'm just stuck in page boundary land)..
let me know.  I'd love to wrap it up.

-Kirk

 "While some look at what is and ask 'why?' and others look at what could be
  ask 'why not?' I look at my coffee table and ask 'where are my sunglasses?'"
                 --Paul Mather, subatomic humor