Re: [stella] Climber 5 beta...again???

Subject: Re: [stella] Climber 5 beta...again???
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:09:25 +0200
Hi Dennis!

> I'm still adding to good ole Climber

Excellent!

> I've added an enhanced selection with...

Excellent²!

> I have about 350 bytes of ROM and 35 bytes of RAM left
> so these additions will depend on what will fit.

Ok, so I'd put your Todos in that order:

>Scheduled additions...
>1) Bonus pickup items
>2) Better vertical animation
>4) Demo mode
>3) Title screen music

Have you thought of *programming* the music? Sort of
like the background noice in Star Ship? Then you could
get away with very few bytes. Would be no good *music*,
but might simulate the noice of building a skyscraper
;-)

Ok, so here's my feedback:

- There's a bug in Z26 when starting straight into the
enhanced mode. All girders then build one straight
vertical line.

- Joystick up/down should select options in the title
screen as well.

- The climbers walk noices seem pitched to high and are
too loud. You should find better fitting ones and reduce
their volume.

- Changing the girder direction with the fire button is
nice. How about another difficulty option/variant where
pressing the fire button speeds up the Climber?

- The game starts off too slow. It's fine in the
training mode, but the normal and enhanced modes should
probably already start with what is currently the third
level.

- Instead of bonus items to pick up, you could also have
additional obstacles falling off vertically from the
structure like bricks. Maybe this'd help make a nicer
difficulty instead of just relying on speeding up the
game in later levels.

- If you'd start the levels in the enhanced variant in
"pause", you could display the level number and the
current score until the player starts the action with
beginning to move.

- Another suggestion for the switches: Since in the
enhanced mode the walls never disappear, but just wrap
around, it'd be nice if there was an option where the
player could do that as well.

Greetings,
	Manuel