Re: [stella] Dasm.

Subject: Re: [stella] Dasm.
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:43:10 -0400
Hi David and welcome,

I'd recommend using the latest version. You can get it from www.atari2600.org/dasm.

> and I'm having trouble
> figuring out how to enter the command line
>
> dasm source.s -f3 -osource.bin
>
> I'm a little confused. Thanks.

I don't know what you mean but I hope this helps. Also, I'm going to assume you know nothing so I hope I don't affend you with my answers.

DASM is a DOS program that must be run from DOS or a DOS shell from Windows. I, like others, have configured my text editing program to call the commands.

The command line break down
dasm
 o this is the program you're running to assemble your program. If your source is not in the same directory as the dasm program you will have to set up DOS (using the autoexec.bat I think...it's been a while) where it can see this program by using PATH=<the path for DASM>

source.s
 o This is the source file you're trying to assemble. The name can be anything you wish.

-f3
 o This a parameter for DASM that will tell it how to output your program. Option 3 tells DASM to output nothing but data (no header information).

-o
 o This tells DASM that the next characters will be the name of the output file when it's done assembling.

source.bin
 o This is the name of the output file once DASM is done assembling it. Generally it's the source name with the .bin extention. you can use anything you like. For 2600 binaries we generally use xxx.bin for the binary.

I hope this helped.

Take care,
Dennis