Re: [stella] Bounce! demo

Subject: Re: [stella] Bounce! demo
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:58:49 -0400
On Sunday 27 July 2003 12:46, Fabrizio Zavagli wrote:
> I'm attaching the sources and binary of the "Bounce!" version that was on
> display at AGE yesterday. I'll leave for a 1-week holiday tomorrow so
> better post it now :)

Thank you for posting this to play with!  I remember seeing the first
announcement of this a long, long time ago on AtariAge; I was happy for a
puzzle game to appear, plus see a different use of the six-digit score trick.

> - Counters: remaining tiles, current level and lifes

The life counter didn't decrement if the ball fell.  The tile counter did
work.

Did you intend for the remaining tiles to not always be the same as the full
number of tiles available?  In other words, is it possible to solve some
levels without getting all the tiles?  I noticed this in level 1.

> I'm thinking of a sfx/music switch for the final version..

If you end up with room for such a feature, it would be handy.  Please do keep
it in mind.

> So, as usual, I'd really love comments on all aspects of the game..
> playability, optimizations, improvements, etc.! :)

I'll leave the optimizations to the experts on the list.  :)

As for playability, it was a bit of a surprise to find out that you don't stop
moving!  That made it a little tough to start bouncing and then try to figure
out where to go next.  It seems to me the best tactic is to stay still until
you plan your whole route, then bounce along that route.  While that's good
in a puzzle sense, it's not so good for an action game.

It seemed like the ball bounces slower when it moves horizontally than
vertically.  Was this intentional?

I do like the level designs so far.  Keep in mind that you could greatly
extend the playability of the game by adding as many levels as you can think
of.  (Think of what you could do with a 32 KB cart!  :) )

Again, thanks for sharing the game with us.  It's coming along well.

- Erik