[stella] collisions with a playfield

Subject: [stella] collisions with a playfield
From: "Vlad Pylin" <pylin_vlad@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:02:35 +0400
I have to check collisions between enemies and a playfield (walls).
When rooms in my game fit in the game screen all were just perfect - I used Atari's collision latches. But what when I made "long" rooms? When enemy is out of the game screen (in the invisible part of room) then no collisions with a playfield will be generated :( Playfield has a complicated shape defined by it's bitmap so it is quite difficult to check if a given bit in the playfiled is set (and to disallow enemy's movement if it is set)...

How they are solve this problem?