Re: [stella] SID2TIA: First result

Subject: Re: [stella] SID2TIA: First result
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:01:43 +0200
Hi Kirk!

> Very cool.  How do you rip the SID out of programs?

Not at all, I'm using already ripped SID files from the
HVSC for the conversion.

>Is it akin to sampling, where you're grabbing whatever
>gets passed to the SID, or was there such a standard
>way of making a "music kernal" that you can rip from
>the program image itself?

Basically I have the SID files running in a *normal* SID
player and I'm dumping the SID register contents every
frame. Based on this input data I'm generating TIA
compatible output data.

Currently I'm only doing some plain frequency matching,
but in later updates I might analyse filter data for
better matching the *instruments*

For example both the BASS and the PITFALL noises the TIA
can generate are tuned identically, so at the moment I
do an either or descission for the whole tune. But later
versions might be more *intelligent* here.

Or I could try to translate the ADSR curves SID
generates into TIA volume settings. This'd double the
required data though.

>(And do you do requests? I don't know if it would
>exceed the 2600's capabilities, but "the title theme
>to "Skate or Die" has always been a favorite...)

I just tried it and unfortunately it sounds worse than
the Commando tune. But this tune is a good base for
improving the conversion, since it only uses two
channels. I hope I'll get better there soon...

Greetings,
	Manuel