Re: [stella] he got game

Subject: Re: [stella] he got game
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:26:11 +1000
Here's an idea....

Allow the player's bats to move horizontally left and right.  But make them
"massivly heavy" so once they're moving, they take a fair bit to stop.  Now
base the rebound of the ball upon the horizontal component of the bats'
velocity.  Allow the player to hold the joystick left and right to increase
or decrease the acceleration (note: not position!) of the bats horizontally.
Also make the ball 'massive' so when it hits your bat, you're knocked
backwards (or rather, you are accelerated backwards, and depending on your
current horizontal velocity you will slow down, or move backwards).

This sort of movement system ties in with how I think the bats should move
vertically, anyway.  I believe you should be looking into fractional
movement, a much better system than "add 1 every x frames" is to "add 1/x
every frame".

Allowing the player to shift horizontally over most of his side of the
playfield, AND using the speed of the bat to determine the speed of the ball
rebound COULD allow you to work on a POWER SHOT where you move rapidly to
the ball and try and slam it past the opponent at speed.  However if he gets
it back, you have a large velocity component to dampen which may make it
difficult for you to get to the rebound.  Should add to gameplay.

To summarise:

* Maintain two variables for the objects
    1) their current position
    2) their current speed (x and y)

* When the player flaps (or moves left/right) you don't modify the position,
you modify the speed

* every frame, decelerate (slow down) the speed slightly (if you want
friction)

* every frame, add gravity to the speed for those objects affected by
gravity

* every frame, after all other calculations are done, the speed is added to
the position to give the new position

Cheers