Re: [stella] Starship 1 Proof of concept

Subject: Re: [stella] Starship 1 Proof of concept
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:45:15 -0700
At 05:34 PM 9/6/2003, you wrote:

Well, the result is attached. As you see, one could do
Starship 1 with really _big_ enemy ships...

Please forgive the crapiness of the starfield and the
occasional crash. It's just a proof of concept.

Very very nice!

I'd like to see you finish this, maybe call it Starship 2.

Maybe we should compile a list of early B&W games that should still be ported to the 2600 (besides Death Race of course).

Some of the game concepts behind those games turned up in other titles with different aesthetics, but it might be nice to see a more literal port.

Space Race comes to mind, for instance. I had the pleasure to play Space Race a few years ago at a classic coinop dealer's warehouse. I don't know how many others have had the privilege, but it should be pretty doable on the 2600. although somewhat redundant with Freeway around.

I'd also like to see Computer Space for the 2600. I think the Suicide Mission engine would be ideal for that game's stipple-like graphics.

I also wonder whether it might be possible to use the multisprite trick to do a faithful rendition of Avalanche, which is a slightly different style of play vs. Kaboom.