Aw: Re: [stella] [Stella] How weird is pha?

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] [Stella] How weird is pha?
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:13:26 +0200 (CEST)
Hi there!

> > >While using CLEAR_START macro, I find the following in
> > > Z26 trace log:

> > >(  0  30   9 -41) (  3   3   1 131 101) nvbdIzc 00 2a
> > > 00 2a  f008: 48       pha          <-- weird (12)

> > > What is this "<-- weird (12)" comment added by Z26?

> >The Pha is strobing HMOVE at cycle 12, where the HMOVE
> >results are considered to be *weird* ;-)

> How exactly does the PHA work? The only 6502 reference I have only says it
> "pushes accumulator". Can someone please translate it?

It writes the accumulator content (0 in our case) to the stack. The stack gets decremented then. The CLEAN_START macro loop so zeros the whole first page. We're looking at the moment when HMOVE is zeroed.

> But what about the other "weird" pha instruction? Using the same logic, I
> can assume it strobes $6A. What is it there?

AFAIK, there's just HMOVE *again*. The TIA registers are mirrored in certain ranges.

Greetings,
Manuel