Re: [stella] Bounce: what next?

Subject: Re: [stella] Bounce: what next?
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 25 Sep 2003 12:11:02 -0000
> So, today I had some free time and continued working on the editor, trying
> to make it as user friendly as possible. You can download an alpha version
> here (it's just a .exe, no install):
> http://www.rasty.com/bounce/bouncedit_alpha1.zip

Very nice!  What's it written in?

If you want some interface suggestions (though it is pretty good as is...)
1. Maybe make it so there's a colored box around the selected tool, not
 having it show up in a seperate window? Sometimes showing the selection
 directly is better than in a different place
2. Some way of visually indicating what has been set as starting location?
3. in terms of recording path...I would do this by having a tape recorder
   like "record path" button.  Pressing it would (well, ask 'are you sure'
   if they've already recorded it) start a cursor flashing at the start
   point (or error if there wasn't a start point)- then they could use
   the arrow keys to indicate the path, leaving the pink dots behind.
   basically, you'd have to implement the game in the editor, but maybe
  it's not so hard? Just an idea, to constrain them into recording legal
  paths.
4.  also, maybe instead of dots, tiny little triangles showing which way
   to go...might be easier for someone to see then, and you could even get
   rid of the "animate path" option (although if a guys path crosses itself,
   there would be more than one triangle...and 'jumps' would have to have
   special color triangles for the square being bypassed...hmm)
5. Clear/Fill should probably ask 'are you sure?' if they've already drawn
   anything on the board.

Just some thoughts! I'm one of those engineers who thinks he's a UI
guy, so take it with a grain of salt :-)

"My favorite is The Invisible Man, because in great scene Invisible Man
 eats large bowl of cookies.  All you see are cookies.  No distractions.
 Me like that."--Cookie Monster, asked to name Favorite Movie Monster