Re: [stella] [POLL] What is everybody working on?

Subject: Re: [stella] [POLL] What is everybody working on?
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:25:49 -0500
>It's already way cool to finally just see these superb
>sprites running around in a real binary. It's also
>interesting to see that you even get parts of the
>background animated. I love it!

Actually, the platforms can be animated in the same way though the layout will still need to be reflected or duplicated. Currently each row is reflected, but I plan to include the ability to switch between reflected and duplicated row by row. So there should be the ability to design lots of different levels (some animated background, some not, some animated platforms, some not, reflected and copies backgrounds and platforms...)

>Well, I personally always prefered the version with the
>contradicting cave (Sorry Thomas) over the one with the
>obstacles, but this is getting a little too blocky for
>my taste. (Sorry Christopher)

Really? I quite like it, reminds me of Scramble and Super Cobra (the brick wall levels). However, here's a couple quick hacks. The first, Newcave-lines.bin does dashes instead of blocks which the second, Newcave-raster.bin also does dashes but only on the cave's "edges" so it's kinda a raster effect. Unfortunately there's nowhere near enough time to do 6 PF writes per scanline so there's no way to really "connect the dashes".

Both these versions make for a lot of extra rows (as rows are not nearly so high) which makes for a potentially more complex playfield. And I'm thinking the central walls should come in now too, forking the road...

Chris...