Re: [stella] TIA Audio Polynomials

Subject: Re: [stella] TIA Audio Polynomials
From: David <davidgalloway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:10:43 -0800

Using these Linear Feedback Shift Registers for many of the counters in the TIA (Horizontal Sync, Player/Missile position) was pretty neat. It was very crafty of the Atari engineers to get 'n' states with just a shift register and a couple of extra gates. For the player position counter there seem to be three extra gates (not including an inverted output that's 'for free').

Looking at the schematic you can see these LFSRs for player position. I have included some code to emulate the logic below.

For the Audio section, once again looking at the schematic it appears that with some work, it should be possible to directly infer the exact logic for the 9 bit polynomial setting? I can see a section with 5 bits and what looks like two taps on bits 2 and 4 (counting from zero). Below to the right appears to be another section with four flip flops which appear to be cascaded. My hunch is that the 5 bit and 4 bit sections are perhaps combined for the 9 bit operation. The four AUDC0 control bits are clearly labeled and feed into the logic which controls the registers. I'd need to puzzle it out some more because some of the wired logic and transistor logic I don't understand. Perhaps someone else who is more qualified could take a look?

- David Galloway

Just because it's related, here is some Python code that implements the Player Position Counter LFSR. Below I include the output, which should be familiar.

def EOR(a,b):
return a^b
def AND(a,b):
return a & b

#quick and dirty binary output
def bpr(value):
string = ""
for bit in range(0,6):
tbit = pow(2, bit)
if (AND(tbit, value)):
nbit = "1"
else:
nbit = "0"
string = nbit + string
print string,
reg = 0

for count in range(0,64):
bpr (reg)
print
bit0 = AND(reg,0x01)
bit1 = int(AND(reg,0x02) >> 1)
nbit6 = (not(EOR(bit0,bit1))) * pow(2,5)
reg = reg >> 1
reg = reg + nbit6
000000
100000