Re: [stella] 13 chars C64-style

Subject: Re: [stella] 13 chars C64-style
From: "Paul Slocum" <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:04:51 -0600

I've rewritten the routine that builds the display graphics in zero
page using two copies of the font as Paul suggested;

Very cool! Thanks! Nicely optimized code.

(but
doesn't use indirection for the text lookup, which would be necessary
in a real game).

In my game, I'm really going to have to use some sort of compression on the text. Probably storing 64 commonly used words, dedicating a bit to EOL, and dedicating a bit to a trailing SPACE. So I think my system will decode a line of text into RAM, then use your routine to build the graphics.

One more text line could maybe be squeezed in there by rendering the first line before the visible area and bumping up the number of scanlines a bit.

Christopher: That display looks really cool. Although I'm trying to avoid any flicker since the main kernal in my RPG already flickers. Don't want my whole game to be a flicker-fest! ;o)

-paul