Re: [stella] question for z26 authors...frame timing

Subject: Re: [stella] question for z26 authors...frame timing
From: John Saeger <johnws8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Dec 2003 13:31:39 -0800
On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 13:09, Thomas Jentzsch wrote:
> John wrote:
> >Because 1/60 != 0.016
> >
> >We can only measure *real* time good to 1 ms or so.
>
> IMO the DOS version was more precise there. Whenever playing with
> exactly 262 frames I always get 59fps (Athlon 2000+). And
> sometimes the scanline count seems to differ by one line (less)
> now too.

Yeah, the good old dos days.  Sync game to an old VGA monitor which ran
at 60Hz and things came out almost perfect.

I just released version 2.11 which has a new command line switch -R.
This syncs the game to the sound stream which makes games that use the
pitfall style sound basically perfect.  Like quadrun and some of the
more recent demos.  In other words, we should be putting out a pretty
much exact match to a console's sound stream and then we let video
follow the sound.  Timing seems much better this way.  I'm not sure why
we don't make it default.  Maybe later.

We also made some adjustments to polynomials to match up better with
things Adam Wozniak has been doing.  I'd be interested to know if this
makes things perceptibly better.

As usual, thanks to Eckhard for doing much of this work.

So did you get a new computer too Thomas?  Can we write the next version
of the emulator in Perl?  ;-)

John