Re: [stella] question for z26 authors...frame timing

Subject: Re: [stella] question for z26 authors...frame timing
From: ecwilkso@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:20:03 -0500
Quoting John Saeger <johnws8@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 13:09, Thomas Jentzsch wrote:
> > John wrote:
> > >Because 1/60 != 0.016
> > >
> > >We can only measure *real* time good to 1 ms or so.

Got it.  So you actually measure the fps instead of computing it based on
scanline count (or some other quantity)?  How do you measure the time?
What's the process you're using?  (remember I'm not a software guy, so keep
it high level if you can. ;)

> Yeah, the good old dos days.
Yeah, good old dos indeed.  Everytime windoze crashes my harddrive, I swear
I'm gonna make a primary dos partition and install 6.22.  But I always forget.
And after the 4+ hours of installing windoze and drivers and such, I can never
seem to force my self to repartition.  Sigh....

> I just released version 2.11 which has a new command line switch -R.
> This syncs the game to the sound stream which makes games that use the
> pitfall style sound basically perfect.  Like quadrun and some of the
> more recent demos.  In other words, we should be putting out a pretty
> much exact match to a console's sound stream and then we let video
> follow the sound.  Timing seems much better this way.  I'm not sure why
> we don't make it default.  Maybe later.

Hmmm....I'll have to try that out, after I complete the move to Boston.

> So did you get a new computer too Thomas?  Can we write the next version
> of the emulator in Perl?  ;-)

Heh...only if it compiles and decompiles properly.  ;)  And only if there's
a runtime option for which machine to compile it to.  After all...if it's
written in Perl, it should be able to run on almost any architecture, including
Atari 8-bits...right?  :P

-Chris