RE: [stella] Sea Wolf 2: Day Two

Subject: RE: [stella] Sea Wolf 2: Day Two
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:37:52 +0100
Hi there!

Thanks for fixing the binary Dennis!

Glenn wrote:
> Okay, I took a look at this on a real 2600 and I see
> some display problems.
> It looks like it's not doing a consistent number of
> lines.  Is it an NTSC binary?

More or less it's an experimental something binary :-)

There's lots of technical issues to solve and I'm just
starting. I was just posting binaries and the source to
document the process and maybe get input and advice here
or there.

Basically the display is now composed of 8 2LK
resolution stripes, which do:

- 2 lines repositioning a ship with a battlezonesque
  technique.

- 2 lines kicking in the display for a moving 6 char
  like display

- 22 lines of sprite display

At least that is ~ the plan.

There's lots of technical issues still to solve. One of
the major points is to have the torpedos smoothly
crossing any lines of these three types...

An other issue is finding a way to move the range where
the battlezone trick works smoothely, from pixel 0 to
pixel 144 (160-16).

I also had this weird idea of a small chance existing
where the timing required to repostition may also
already be able to control the delay required for
kicking in the moving 6-char code...

You'll see, the major factor for this to work is
probably unsolvable, as the repositioning requires a
precise HMOVE strobing, which'll normally require a
WSYNC, which'll ruin the timing for the 6-char and the
cat is biting it's tail... :-)

Well, to sum it up, I yet don't know wether 24 pixel
wide sprites will work good enough in the end or not...

Greetings,
	Manuel