Re: [stella] JoustPong: maybe ditch "poorlords" wall

Subject: Re: [stella] JoustPong: maybe ditch "poorlords" wall
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 11 Jan 2004 21:16:02 -0000

> As is the game is very hard to control.  I understand that's the challenge
> but we've all been playing Joust for ages so I think we'll have an easier
> time of it if you tried to match the Joust physics as closely as possible.

I will consider tweaking things.  But I don't want to make it too
too easy "right out of the box"...and it did playtest pretty well
at New England Classic Gamers.

Also, broad up and down movement is more important than in Joust,
where the up and down movement was a different kind of finesse...
but in it, you didn't have to constantly fly from what part of
the screen to another.  I worry that peoples fingers might give
out if they had to flap so dang much...

> Right now they move more like squids in the ocean.  The upward motion is
> too linear, and doesn't accel/decel gracefully.

Actually, it is based on a very non-linear motion model, in terms
of interia...the trouble is it feels less like it because of...
well, rounding I guess you'd say, it's not quantized finely enough.

> But I just think you should focus on this, rewriting it if necessary, and
> only move onto the wall and other features until the player movement is
> perfected.  I know it's not glamorous work, but since the game has such a

"Perfected" is such a funny word...there really isn't an objective
measurement for it.

> simple control scheme, how responsive the player object is to user input is
> critical to making this thing fun.

"Obscenity, by itself, is the last refuge of the vulgarian
 and the crutch of the inarticulate motherf**ker." --Lawrence Paros