Re: [stella] debuggers

Subject: Re: [stella] debuggers
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:44:51 -0800
At 12:20 AM 2/2/2004, you wrote:
Any takers?

For the record, is there an easily identified part of the current Stella codebase on Sourceforge to wedge in a debugger? The entire 6502 system is completely simulated as objects and in theory it should be able to "monitor" the machine through an external module, right? I'm not volunteering as I don't know C++, but I'd like to know from someone who DOES if they've been able to at least conceptualize which section of the code would need to be altered to make this happen.

I can think of so many important things a 2600-specific debugger could do.

For instance, you could flag start and stop points for measuring how many cycles a section of code takes to execute. (Think Overscan/VBlank). That way you'll know very easily how many cycles you have to spare (if any) you have.

I'm just thinking that most of the hard work is already complete with the emulators that are out there. The only thing to do is build a UI to monitor the state of the emulated machine and to handle breakpoints and single-stepping.

It would probably be a waste of effort to work on enhancing this guy's simulator. If time is going to be spent on a debugger, it should be part of an existing emulator like Z26 or Stella.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/