[stella] kernal klunk

Subject: [stella] kernal klunk
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 6 Feb 2004 01:22:47 -0000
So I'm having trouble with my kernal...but I can't understand
why I'm seeing it *now*, everything I've been changing is in
VBLANK (the fractional positioning, and I just added in a routine
to rebound off the floor at 1/2 the descending speed) and the
Kernal, which seemed pretty solid before, should be unaffected.

The Kernal is a bit messy though, skipdraw techniques with code
to decode and set the warlords-like walls behind interspersed

And my attempts at debugging were for not...I thought I was possibly
running out of TIME in the VBLANK (though I thought that seemed
relatively unlikely) so I added in a bunch of NOPs...*way* too many
NOPs caused obvious problems to occur (screen starts getting drawn
late) but just a certain numer of SLEEP cycles seemed to make the
issue go away.

The bin is at
http://alienbill.com/joustpong/20040205.bin
and the source is at
http://alienbill.com/joustpong/20040205.source.txt

You can most easily reproduce the issue by putting it on 2 players,
letting both players drop, and seeing what happens to the screen
when the 2 players and the ball are on the same part of the screen.
This effect doesn't seem to happen in the eariler bins at
http://alienbill.com/joustpong/ though the Oct 13 bin still had a
bug where I wasn't clearing out GRP0/1, so they stretched a bit.

Any ideas? I think the version posted has been copying the high byte
of the player position into a seperate memory location

	LDA slowP0YCoordFromBottom+1
	STA copyIntegerCoordP0

	LDA slowP1YCoordFromBottom+1
	STA copyIntegerCoordP1

 just on the wacky chance that
        SBC copyIntegerCoordP0
was faster than
        SBC slowP1YCoordFromBottom+1
--though I assume the two previous statements assemble into
equivalent code?

Thanks for any debugging help!
-Kirk

"As they say in my country, the only thing that separates us from the animals
  are mindless superstition and pointless ritual."--Latka Gravas,"Taxi"