Re: [stella] RPG progress

Subject: Re: [stella] RPG progress
From: "Paul Slocum" <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:53:03 -0600

Wow, the castle has even a second level!

That second level is actually very big, but I haven't had time to fill it out yet.

- On the very right edge, the last two pixels are missing every other
scannline. If there's water at the left, the blue color repeats for one pixel
wide stripes on the right.

I'll look again and see if I can tweak the timing, but as I recall, I tried to fix this before and couldn't figure out a way. I think the issue was the way the processor cycles line up with the graphics. Turning off the playfield either ends up coming early or late, and I ended up compromising by alternating doing it early one frame and late the next frame. I usually don't notice it anymore (especially on the TV).

- Scrolling looks weird, like if the "new" blocks would come in slower than the
"old" ones disappear. This looks especially weird when scrolling water or
walls. Also I got the impression as if sometimes "wrong" blocks are scrolled
in first (even with the wrong color!) which is then corrected later.

It takes 3 frames to build the next row/column of tiles, so there's not really any way to fix this. But you shouldn't be seeing the wrong tiles being drawn first -- let me know where you are seeing this.

I just changed the tiles from 8x10 to 8x12 which gives a little more detail on the tiles and de-emphasizes the vertical gap between rows of tiles. I've attached the new version. I've now got Strongsad (from Homestar Runner) in as the main character.

-paul