RE: [stella] JoustPong: more exciting than ever!

Subject: RE: [stella] JoustPong: more exciting than ever!
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 23 Feb 2004 13:52:25 -0000
> > "Pterry" is now a resident of the magical JoustPong kingdom!
>
> Great!

Thanks!

> > I had probably my single most productive day of 2600 hacking. It's not
> > quite done, I want to get Pterry swooping around a bit, and tweaking the
> > bounce algorithm when the ball hits him (as opposed to a player, but
> > overall
> > I think it adds a lot to the game)
>
> I was going to suggest this. Having him move up and down would be nice. BTW,
> wouldn't the bounce logic be the same for Pterry as it is for the other
> players (i.e. change horiz movement)?

We'll see how it goes. It might be fun to have it (at least sometimes)
shoot back the way it came (which would be the net effect of reversing
both the horizontal and vertical at the same time)

Right now, though, the player's bounce algorithim is a bit of a fudge...
since it's totally possible that a player can descend upon and "engulf"
the ball, if every frame I detected a player/ball collision I simply
reversed the ball, you might get the unhappy situation where a player
slams into the ball from above, it bounces around 'inside' them for a
small but detectable amount of time, then escapes into that player's goal!
So the current hack is that if the ball hits the left player graphic, it
heads right, and vice versa....and so right now if it hits Pterry, the
direction of the ball depends on which player graphic Pterry happens
to be using

> I hope your flicker doesn't affect the
> hardware collision detection.

Given the speeds things are moving at, I think I'll be ok:
a player is there 3 out of 4 frames, pterry is there every
other frame. The Player is the main concern, the ball is
travelling less than a pixel a frame, a player is 8 pixels
wide (well, only 2 wide in parts but the wing, but still...)
Playing around it doesn't seem to be much of a problem but
I'll keep an eye out on it.

> I also see the title screen scan line count fluctuates between 262 and 263
> scan lines. I haven't tried this on my VCS so I don't know if the screen
> jump is noticeable.

It is, alas. I need to check that out. I think I added in the
music at the wrong place somehow; I think I should otherwise have
plenty of time for it.

> Not for me. I've been busy trying to finish my project that I haven't spent
> much time with running other people's binaries.

Thanks for the feedback!

Frickin' god! He's such a goodie good.
   --http://www.advancednet.net/objectcity/o.htm