[stella] Rev B: what's that extra socket for?

Subject: [stella] Rev B: what's that extra socket for?
From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:29:04 -0600
I took my 2600 apart tonight; it's a six-switcher with a Rev B
motherboard, (C) 1977.

Between the 6507 and the TIA, there's a 24-pin pad.  It's clearly
designed to hold a socket, but there's no socket in it and the vias are
filled with solder.

I'm guessing that there was another part Atari was considering but
dropped for cost reasons.  Does anyone know what it was?  It looks like
a bunch of the lines run to pins 5-11 on the '07; that makes me suspect
that it was likely to be either ROM--a built-in game?--or onboard RAM.

Does anyone know?

Adam