Re: [stella] 7800 A/V mod

Subject: Re: [stella] 7800 A/V mod
From: Mark Graybill <saundby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:07:12 -0800
On Monday 23 February 2004 08:58 pm, Chris Wilkson wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Glenn Saunders wrote:
> > At 01:10 PM 2/23/2004, you wrote:
> > >Regarding the 7800 version, look for it in the summer.  It *will*
> > > happen.
> >
> > Is it going to be a daughter-card like solution also even for the Maria
> > portion?  Would the audio signal path still work with Pokey carts?
> > Sounds like a really challenging mod to do without requiring a lot of
> > soldering to install.

The mod is not all that challenging design-wise, and mixing the audio isn't
really a problem, either. It just takes a pair of resistors to act as a mixer
between the two lines. You can check out my mod at:
http://www.geocities.com/atari7800mod/

There's nothing magic about my mod, it was influenced by other mods that were
out there before mine. I spend some time on the page trying to explain what
makes it tick, too, hopefully without lapsing out of the English language too
frequently. So even if you're not checked out on a soldering iron you may be
interested in the discussion of what's up with the 7800's internal audio and
video.

What they do with the 7800's internal signals before they get to the RF
connector is a crime. The more people who can see their 7800's signals
without it being folded, spindled, and mutilated the better. I put mine on my
36" TV and it's better than playing the games on an actual arcade machine (my
screen's bigger, and I can save my quarters for more cartridges at the
second-hand video game shop in town.)

-Mark G. (A.k.a. Saundby)