[stella] interesting supercharger/mp3 challenge

Subject: [stella] interesting supercharger/mp3 challenge
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 3 Mar 2004 13:54:00 -0000
Huh...so I had this idea for using my friends "ancient" mp3
player (a Diamond Rio, a 'paltry' 32 megs) as a way of carrying
around an mp3 version of the JoustPong "makewav" output.

At first it was hit or miss whether it worked, but now I
figured out how to crank up the bitrate (so the mp3 is nearly
as big as the Wav ~250k) and it seems to be pretty reliable.

is there a list of superchargerable games? (those are all
the 2k/4k ones pretty much, right? Is there a list?) The rio
plus a supercharger could make a neat little super cart,
though I'll have to keep a paper index of what track is what,
the Rio doesn't seem to support any file or songname display.

Another random question: does anyone know of a free laptopable
OS that can be A. installed via floppy and B. powerful enough
to support wav feedback? I thought FreeDOS might be it, but
alas, they require a cd-rom for install, and this cute little
laptop doesn't have one.  (I screwed myself w/ this laptop...
it ran win3.1 pretty well, i put win95 on it trying to make it
'easier' for my mom...Win95 in 4 megs of memory ain't easier for
no one, alas. I rebought some Win3.1 floppies, but it turns out
DOS mode in Win95 won't support reinstalling win3.1 without some
version reporting magic I'm not familiar with.) Though if I have
got the mp3 mojo working, I guess I should be working on finishing
up JoustPong, not fiddling with laptop hardware.

"Obscenity, by itself, is the last refuge of the vulgarian
 and the crutch of the inarticulate motherf**ker." --Lawrence Paros