RE: [stella] Generic kernal or just build a game?

Subject: RE: [stella] Generic kernal or just build a game?
From: stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:33:14 -0600
> so, the |_  and _|  are paddles?  Do they trace a square or
> a circle around the center blocks?

They trace a large rectangle.

> You might wanna glance at Radial Pong
> http://atariage.com/development_page.html?InDevelopmentID=41
> Haven't heard about that for a long time.

It's similar in that the paddles move about some center point, but there's
definitely no use of curves or trig in the game I played on the C64.  Also,
both paddles in the C64 game were controlled by one player and would remain
opposite each other.  It was a fast paced and addictive game by my
recollection, but rather uninteresting visually.  I think it was done in
text mode (not in a good way).

> Those old 80s mag probably had some great ideas for 2600 games.
> There was this one Compute's Gazette with a neat heat seeking
> missile game, there was a row of like 8 on the ground that would
> launch one at a time....control was kind of like 2600 Combat
> biplanes, but faster, and the goal was to get the missile following
> you to crash into the ground (hopefully taking another missile
> with it)

That sounds very much like one I found in an Apple ][ mag, Nibble.  It was
an ML game called Heatseeker.  I think I tried typing it in, but wasn't able
to get it running... or maybe I'm thinking of ANY OTHER ML listing I'd tried
to enter back then!

:)

-Lee