Re: [stella] AARGH....obscure bug, or hardware glitch, help withfinal hour code review?

Subject: Re: [stella] AARGH....obscure bug, or hardware glitch, help withfinal hour code review?
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:19:42 -0500 (EST)
Are you debouncing the switches properly?  And are you checking on every frame?

Try extending the switch debounce time.  If only I had a working 2600, I could
burn and test roms for you.  Or download via Cuttle Cart.  It would give you
another real machine test set.  Alas, I have no video.

BTW, if I understand right, you're doing something like this...

        lda SWCHB
        and #%00000001
        BNE Reset_Not_Pressed
        ;; do reset stuff here
    Reset_Not_Pressed
        lda SWCHB
        and #%00000010
        BNE Select_Not_Pressed
        ;; do select stuff here
    Select_Not_Pressed
        ;; do other stuff here

you might not care in this case, but you can save some cycles by doing

        lda SWCHB
        rora
        BCS Reset_Not_Pressed
        ;; do reset stuff here
    Reset_Not_Pressed
        rora
        BCS Select_Not_Pressed
        ;; do select stuff here
    Select_Not_Pressed
        ;; do other stuff here

Hmmm...looks like you save 5 bytes too.

Sorry...I'm sure this doesn't help with your problem, but my abilities are
way hurting at this time of night....

-Chris