Re: [stella] H*R RPG Demo

Subject: Re: [stella] H*R RPG Demo
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:05:10 -0600
Kirk: The title screen is done with a combination of playfield, background color, and a little bit of player graphics. The code is a bit bloated right now, but you can look at the code in bank4.asm.

What is happening on a real board? Maybe, if you post the sourcecode we
could help you.

I tend to think it's a timing problem with the board, and not a problem with the program. It also works on the 16K board I have when I use the EPROM emulator (haven't had a chance to burn an EPROM yet since my DOS computer was having problems).

But I attached the source anyway. Note that this is sort of an alternative version of the main code that I sloppily threw together specifically as a demo with the music and title screen in there.

I just played the latest version a bit and the map is really *huge*. Wow!
Can you pick up any objects already?

Yeah, it's pretty big! And it will be much larger in the real game. That map system uses very little ROM space to store big maps.

BTW: Have you thought about some automatic mapping?

Hmmm, that sounds difficult to do on the 2600 with so little RAM, but I'll think about it.

-paul