Re: [stella] Dasm for Linux

Subject: Re: [stella] Dasm for Linux
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 00:46:48 +1000
> > This might carry more weight if the dasm source package weren't a
> > weird, bastardized dos/amiga thing that won't build under modern
> > OSes without a carrot and stick ;)
>
> Well, for the benefit of the original poster, attached is a small patch
> that allows it to compile on my linux/ppc box.  This is for DASM
> 2.20.07.  As you can see inside it, there isn't that much that needs
> changing, though it compiles with a lot of warnings.

Yes, well DASM is old.  And it's most definitely not fun to maintain.  But
since I'm doing that job, and a lot of effort is put into making the code
portable so that it *CAN* be used on various platforms such as Amiga, MAC,
dos, OSX, Unix*... rather than gung-ho releasing a patch and/or new version
of your own accord, it would be far better for everyone if you actually
pointed out what the problem was, contact the maintainer(s) of the code and
ask for an official update.

I'm a bit miffed that this has happened this way, instead of the "polite"
way.  That being, somebody actually bothering to send a report that the code
doesn't compile under Linux.  I've been extremely prompt in bugfixes and new
releases where required.  Hmmph.