Re: [stella] Dasm for Linux

Subject: Re: [stella] Dasm for Linux
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:02:28 -0500
Hi Andrew.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:46:48AM +1000, Andrew Davie wrote:
> Yes, well DASM is old.  And it's most definitely not fun to maintain.  But
> since I'm doing that job, and a lot of effort is put into making the code
> portable so that it *CAN* be used on various platforms such as Amiga, MAC,
> dos, OSX, Unix*... rather than gung-ho releasing a patch and/or new version
> of your own accord, it would be far better for everyone if you actually
> pointed out what the problem was, contact the maintainer(s) of the code and
> ask for an official update.

Was it really that big a patch?  All I was doing (with the exception of
the ulong typedef, which is really a bug, if a small one) was
configuring the Makefile for the OP.  I'm sorry if I made it look like
dasm was unmaintained or something, but I just wanted to solve the OP's
problem.

> I'm a bit miffed that this has happened this way, instead of the "polite"
> way.  That being, somebody actually bothering to send a report that the code
> doesn't compile under Linux.  I've been extremely prompt in bugfixes and new
> releases where required.  Hmmph.

Well, I apologize.  I would never actually send in the previous patch to
a program's maintainer, though, because it was done without explanation
of why the changes were made, and without careful consideration of the
effects of each change by someone who understands the program.  While I
have your attention, the three things that should change:

1) the aforementioned ulong typedef (for obvious reasons).
2) either the C++ style comments, or the -ansi option should be removed
   when compiling with gcc.
3) -noixemul isn't a recognized option on any of the versions of gcc I
   have around.

Also, having a make clean rule in the Makefile, and not including
exp.obj (exp.obj: 80386 COFF executable not stripped - version 25970) in
the distribution, would be other suggestions I have.

A few comments in the Makefile about what to uncomment for various
platforms might be helpful, too.  I can make a more comprehensive patch
that addresses all these issues and submit it, if you'd like.  I've been
meaning to write debian build rules for dasm, anyway.

Cheers.

--
Julian Squires