RE: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes

Subject: RE: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:28:27 -0600
First things first.  Here's the latest source and binary.

Please note:
	* Paddle now moves using joystick in port 0!
	* Paddle reflection code needs work (ball can "bind up" in the paddle
occasionally)
	* Ball speed is random and non-sensical.  Hit reset a few times to get a
"fun" ball velocity.
	* Ball neither speeds up nor slows down (unless you press reset).
	* Nothing happens when the board is cleared.

> Synopsis: not much help w/ Lee's Paddle questions but some general
> moral support, and one thought about putting paddle reading elsewhere.

I hadn't mentioned this yet, but I'd like to implement two-player support.
I think the benefit of two-player mode outweighs the benefit of paddles in
this case.  Not to mention, the original game relied on the joystick and
still managed to be highly addictive.

> I wonder...is it feasible to position paddle reading outside of the main
> kernal?

Heh, not in my case.  I haven't counted cycles to see what I have left over
in my vblank and overscan, but I do use both.  Lord knows the code is far
from tight in many areas, but optimization is ongoing.

I've pretty much made up my mind about paddles.  I think the game is very
playable with joysticks (even if it's not that stellar as a
work-in-progress), just as it was back in the day, and adding paddle support
would IMO degrade the overall look and feel of the game and create a lot of
rework.

As always, thanks for your feedback, Kirk.
-Lee