Re: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 2 Apr 2004 20:26:43 -0000
> You can start polling the paddles right after you have stopped
> discharging the capacitors. Mondo Pong and the second load of
> Party Mix do this. Then it takes about a 180 degree turn on the
> paddle to deleay the bit-flipping by 256 scanlines. Since a
> paddle has a range of about 300 degree, I suppose you can count
> for about 400 scanlines before the paddle-bit would be guaranteed
> to have flipped.

So 400 is the upper limit.  Are you saying at the other end,
it may be, in effect, "instant"?

It was also nice to hear from Paul that a lot of games don't
use the full range, I thought it might be some kind of "requirement"

Speaking of MondoPong, is the paddle reading why the gameplay
is confined to a smaller part of the screen?

> > I guess this weekend I can try whipping up some sample code. Maybe I
> > should tell Al to put some of my royalties towards a stelladaptor or
> > two...(I think I've budgeted spending my royalties like 2 or 3 times
> > over...it's "paid" for my hotel in Philly, part of my iPod, some gaming
> > gear at Philly, etc etc ;-)
>
> While the Stelladaptor is a very nice device that I highly
> recommend for anyone playing 2600 on an emulator, it does
> work a little differently than a real VCS. Also it's data
> gets interpreted by an emulator. So for this particular
> problem of finding out what the limits are for reading a
> paddle, it's not going to be acurate enough to give a
> definitive answer.

Oh, not the answer for this, but if I do make a paddle game,
it will hopefully be close enough in behavior that I can use
it for testing...it should be closer to the real thing than
using the mouse, after all...

"Give me a plant with a demonstrable sense of irony, then I'll
  be all over botany." --2000-8-19