RE: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes

Subject: RE: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:07:17 -0700
This has turned into a terrific technical discussion about paddles.  In fact, one that seems to have been needed.  To round it out, does anyone care to share some code that illustrates how to read the driving controller?

Is it this simple?

;
; This code is untested and is probably useless
;
          lda INP0      ; Check left movement
          bne .notLeft
          jmp .doLeftStuff
.notLeft  lda INP1      ; Check right movement
          bne .notRight
          jmp .doRightStuff
.notRight               ; Driving controller not moving...

I am 99% sure that I'll implement the driving controller.  It seems to fit the bill in many ways: from its ease of programming to its usability in this particular game.  I don't feel like I'm compromising at all, since it seems paddles may have introduced a frustration factor in that they stop spinning at a given threshhold.

Again, thank you!
-Lee