Re: [stella] NTSC or PAL Dev ?

Subject: Re: [stella] NTSC or PAL Dev ?
From: Happy_Dude <happy_dude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 00:17:40 +1000
> I plan to make my first steps into VCS 2600 programming.
Welcome to [stella]

> So I need some advices :
You've come to the right place :-)

> As I understood, regarding the differences that exist in cycle counting and
> the number of scanlines used for NTS and PAL systems, it seems to be easier
> to adapt a NTSC program to PAL than a PAL's one to NTSC.
>
> So I think I'll have to start to program a NTSC program first.. The
> modifications should be easier to convert it to PAL later.
>
> am I right or am I totally wrong ?

You're totaly right. It's easier to add scanlines than remove them.
Theres also the different colour values aswell, i.e: a simple decreasing
colour loop will display a nice rainbow on a NTSC system but on PAL you get a
bunch of disjointed colours.

And of course if you just do a PAL60 conversion you don't have to worry about
scanlines at all ;-)