Re: [stella] INV+ yet again - inv40104new.bin

Subject: Re: [stella] INV+ yet again - inv40104new.bin
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:29:35 -0400
Manuel wrote:

>- There's a bug with the fire-button. It won't start a new game.

Sneaky. ;)  I am trying to call feature stop, but I can implement that. :)
I'm already working on a new project, and so would really like to put INV
to bed for good.

Thomas wrote:

>> And that used up my very last available byte of RAM.  :)
>
>Hm, so even an easy to implement variation like e.g. invisible
>invaders is impossible now, right? I am sure there are a few bytes
>waiting to be optimized. ;-)

Oh, of course.  I've got about six different single-bit variables each
using up a whole byte.  The problem is that I wrote the kernel seven years
ago (back when stellalist was first starting), and it's really tight in
some places (up to 6 consecutive lines without a WSYNC), so I'd end up
breaking a lot of stuff to optimize anything.

That said, I think I can actually implement that without any more RAM.  It
has one byte for game variation, that only uses one bit (for one or two
player play.)  And the invisibility can be accomplished by just adding
black values to the color-lookup table that's already there for PAL, and
changing the lookup index which is set outside the kernel.  I'll see what
I can do...

>The timing and colors look ok on my PAL machine. I am very glad that
>you implemented a PAL-60 mode. PAL-50 is too easy, PAL-60 feels right.

Thanks for the testing (to Manuel too)!  And thanks for your differing
opinions on the PAL speed which resulted in making everybody happy. :)