[stella] Finally underway: 2600 Cookbook

Subject: [stella] Finally underway: 2600 Cookbook
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 12 Apr 2004 03:22:52 -0000
Synopsis: 2600 Cookbook (snippets) started,
  http://alienbill.com/2600/cookbook/
Help welcome...also, does anyone know about this
one PC tool to help with AUDF* frequencies?
------
I started work on 2600 Cookbook, what might end up being my
biggest contribution to the 2600 homebrew community.

http://alienbill.com/2600/cookbook/

is the URL.  So far I cover 3 topics:
Music Basics, Asymmetrical Playfield Graphics,
and Cycle Counting.  (the latter is basically
just a reference to Nick Bensema's document.)

The format is "Cookbook", just like O'Reilly's Java and Perl
Cookbooks...I think it's a great way to learn how to do things,
because each topic is very focused, and by having them all in
one place, you can browse it and get ideas about what's possible
and feasible.

Most topics have 5 sections:
Problem: short summary in the form "You'd like to" or "You want to"
Solution: brief outline of the solution
Discussion: the meat of the explanation
     (Most documents that aren't [stella] links have local mirrors --
     I hate linkrot...)
Example: A brief complete program, ready for assembling in DASM, with
        the "releavant bits" (as opposed to the usual boilerplate)
        all highlighted in red

So, I'd love to get some feedback on the format (which like I said,
I've found super friendly in the past) as well as possible
contributions from anyone who'd like to chip in.

Here are some topics I'm thinking of:
-joystick/player movement (lifted from 2600 101)
-exact horizontal positioning
-subpixel "fixed point" motion
-16 bit math review
-comparisons (at Philly, Ronen Habot mentioned using some Macros
        for various >, <, >=, <= type compares...that might be
        a good idea, I spent a lot of time looking up the boiler
        plate for those...)
-read a paddle (need to learn)
-.skipDraw (need to learn better :-)
-that combat missile trick
-48 Pixel sprites
-some tricks to know how much ROM/RAM you have
-symptoms, macros, and fixes for dealing with page boundary issues

---------

Oh, one thing I meant to ask...
Am I going nuts, or is there a command line tool out there that you can feed
in what notes you'd like the Atari to play, and it will spit out
some possible frequencies to try, keeping things as relatively
in-tune as possible? I thought I used something like that to
get the JoustPong title music but now I have no idea where it is.
The Music page is currently incomplete in that regard, but if someone
knows the tool I'm talking about (preferably pointing to a PC .exe)
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Kirk
 "SANTA HAS A TUMOR IN HIS HEAD THE SIZE OF AN OLIVE. MAYBE IT WILL GO
  AWAY TOMORROW BUT I DON'T THINK SO."
    --sign language by Crumpet the Macy's SantaLand Elf (David Sedaris)