Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!

Subject: Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 03:46:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Adam Thornton wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 15:23, B. Watson wrote:
> > but it'll require both emulators to
> > be run as root.
>
> Out-of-sync audio is a much smaller problem than needing to run as root,
> IMHO.

I'd code it in such a way that it'd fail gracefully, if run without
root privs. Somewhat like xmame (tries DGA, falls back to regular X11
windowed mode if it lacks privilege).

The documentation would say `If you want to do this horribly insecure
thing, here's how... but we're not responsible if it blows up', or
similar. It'd be a trade-off the user (admin, really) would have to
consciously make (I won't put `chmod u+s' in an install script!).

OTOH, I don't think it'd be useful, after reading up on scheduling.
The purpose of setting high priority is to make sure the app gets as
much CPU time as possible... but on a single-user workstation, with
nothing else CPU-intensive running, z26 already gets all the CPU it
needs. Cranking up the priority won't get it any more CPU time than it
already gets, unless there are other CPU hogs running...

--
Brian