RE: [stella] Helpful info for cleaning your Atari 2600 console

Subject: RE: [stella] Helpful info for cleaning your Atari 2600 console
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:18:17 -0500
> It's amazing what proper calibration can do for old electronics!  :)
No doubt!

I forgot to mention that I found some incorrect information regarding
twitchy driving controllers on the web.  The article said to pry off the
knob and apply contact cleaner to the pot.  The driving controller doesn't
have a pot and the one I recently acquired from eBay was practically
unusable in Indy 500.

To get it working like new, I followed this procedure:

1. Remove the large dial with firm, but careful pulling
2. Remove the exposed nut and washer
3. Remove back of controller
4. Carefully pull knob assembly out of controller, leaving wires intact
5. Using a screwdriver, carefully pry apart knob assembly box... this
reveals a disc with contact points and 8 prongs that rake against the disc
7. Gently wipe the disc and prongs with contact cleaner
8. Bend the prongs outwards to give them better contact with the disc
9. Re-assemble everything (I used contact cleaner on the knob post, but
maybe silicone or some other lubricant may be better)
10. Usual "don't blame me if you break anything, I'm just trying to help"
disclaimer applies

Ciao,
-Lee