Re: [stella] z26 linux port snapshot

Subject: Re: [stella] z26 linux port snapshot
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:44:14 -0400
Hi.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 03:28:52PM +0000, rufbo1@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance here, but what's stopping you from decompiling
> the asm into relatively standard C and recompiling for LinuxPPC (okay,
> YDL now) and possibly later for OS X?  I realize it'd be much, much
> slower, but how close is Moore's Law to catching other architectures
> up to acceptable performance on high end machines?  Might be neat to
> at least have z26 running on a dual G5...  ;^)

It's theoretically possible but practically very tricky.  Even
converting the assembler from MASM to NASM took a lot of care, from what
I can tell.  I was considering translating it to PPC asm (or portable C)
manually, but the size of the file and the number of macros makes it a
fairly imposing task, unfortunately.

I'm sure that powerpc machines will be getting a bit more attention
anyway now with the Stella maintainer hanging around here.

(BTW: Linux on PPC is a lot more than just YDL.)

Cheers.

--
Julian Squires