Aw: Re: [stella] Assymetrical PF and Repositioning don't mix...

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Assymetrical PF and Repositioning don't mix...
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:23:22 +0200 (CEST)
Hi there!

> There's got to be a way to do it.  I mean you CAN position a sprite
> anywhere on a line while drawing an asymmetrical playfield.  Just gotta
> figure out a way to generalize it.  I suspect you'll just have to include
> 2-3 different versions of the positioning routine and have the kernel
> choose the one it needs for the current position.

Uihjah! Just had this extreme thought:

Instead of a repositioning loop, you could do some 15 different kernels RESPing at the precise cycles where the loop would do it.

Still, it won't work, because you have to time the second PF write to cycle... what was it again... 46?

So when the one kernel is doing

STA RESP ; @43
STA PF2    ; @46

The next would do

STA PF2    ; @46
STA RESP ; @49

But the required gap between the RESPs would be 5 cycles and this'd require 6 (49-43)...
Damn!  :-(

Greetings,
Manuel