Re: [stella] 2600 emulators vs. MAME

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emulators vs. MAME
From: Stephen Anthony <stephena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:30:17 -0230
On May 17, 2004 01:58 pm, cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> > Wait, i found some screenshots of Gauntlet "doing it":
> >
> > With "bilinear filtering":
> > http://glmame.linuxgames.com/gaunt1.gif
> >
> > Without "bilinear filtering":
> > http://glmame.linuxgames.com/gaunt2.gif
>
> Ooops, that's just the thumbnails.
>
> Here ya go:
>
> http://glmame.linuxgames.com/gaunt1.jpg
> http://glmame.linuxgames.com/gaunt2.jpg
>
> Greetings,
> Manuel

I've added something similar to the CVS version of Stella.  At this
point, it can probably still be improved a bit, since it was only an
experiment and I haven't had a lot of time to work on Stella lately.

The first one is normal OpenGL scaling, and the second uses bi-linear
filtering.

Without "bilinear filtering":
	http://minbar.org/pressure1.png

With "bilinear filtering":
	http://minbar.org/pressure2.png

The window in the centre is the integrated GUI.  Right now, it's
filtered the same as the emulation.  But since the UI is drawn
independently of the emulation, it doesn't *have* to be filtered.

I feel that color gradients in particular look better, since there's a
smooth progression.

Steve