[stella] The future of Stella (i.e. debugger needed)

Subject: [stella] The future of Stella (i.e. debugger needed)
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 19:57:53 -0700
At 02:50 PM 5/17/2004, you wrote:

PS: If I could get the &*&$# sound problems fixed in Stella, this is the
type of stuff I really want to work on; filtering modes and in-game
GUI's.  But the default, no-frills, pixel-perfect mode will always be
available.

Given that this is Stellalist and we are all presumably interested in programming games for the 2600, if you are planning to do any further work on Stella in the future, I can not urge you enough to please, please, add a debugger to it. The hooks are there, it just needs a GUI (hopefully with the ability to load DASM list files into it so you can see all the labels).

If we had that I think it REALLY would lower the barrier of entry for a lot of us who are getting bogged down by time-consuming trial and error, and we'd see far more 2600 games get finished.

If you look at emulators for other systems, most notably home computers. Here is a partial list:

Atari 8-bit (both of these have ML monitors)

http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/~thor/atari++/
http://atariarea.histeria.pl/PLus/index_us.htm

Atari 5200

http://www.atariage.com/5200/emulation/vss_tutorial/

SNES

http://snemul.free.fr/images/bigscreen.gif

SMS

http://www.smspower.org/meka/gallery/meka067.gif

Gameboy

http://www.work.de/nocash/gmb.htm

Intellivision

http://www.shinytechnologies.com/nostalgia.php

NES (several)
http://qmt.ath.cx/~nes/nintendulator/nintendulator_bin.zip

Vectrex

http://www.playvectrex.com/designit/chrissalo/usingemulator.htm

BBC Micro

http://www.qualsar.co.uk/bbcmicro/images/screen01.gif

MSX

http://www.work.de/nocash/msx.htm

C=64

http://www.work.de/nocash/c64.htm

CPC

http://www.work.de/nocash/cpc.htm

ZX81

http://www.work.de/nocash/zx8.htm

CoCo

http://www.maya.com/local/phil/coco/

TRS-80

http://members.aol.com/trsf80/

If all these systems (several of them obscure and with few if any homebrewers) can have debuggers, certainly one of the modern 2600 emulators (Stella and Z26) can have one so we don't have to struggle so much anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/