Re: [stella] The future of Stella (i.e. debugger needed)

Subject: Re: [stella] The future of Stella (i.e. debugger needed)
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 18 May 2004 13:50:38 -0000

> Given that this is Stellalist and we are all presumably interested in
> programming games for the 2600, if you are planning to do any further work
> on Stella in the future, I can not urge you enough to please, please, add a
> debugger to it.  The hooks are there, it just needs a GUI (hopefully with
> the ability to load DASM list files into it so you can see all the labels).
>
> If we had that I think it REALLY would lower the barrier of entry for a lot
> of us who are getting bogged down by time-consuming trial and error, and
> we'd see far more 2600 games get finished.
[SNIP]
> If all these systems (several of them obscure and with few if any
> homebrewers) can have debuggers, certainly one of the modern 2600 emulators
> (Stella and Z26) can have one so we don't have to struggle so much anymore.

Just a reminder, PCAEWin does have one, though it's so clunky
UI-wise that it's tough to get along, it doesn't read DASM files,
and uses its own kind of odd ball memory numbering.  It was enough
to let me copy the Joust Pteradactyl sound...but it is important to
note that it's not enoough to just have "a" monitor/debugger, it
needs to be made with a fair consideration of UI...and one that could
read in DASM listfiles would be HEAVEN.  (I thought PCAEWin was funny...
it has a display of the first page of RAM, and then a different window
showing all the labels for that, but leaves it to the user to put the
two together mentally...)

 This site was made possible by a grant from Atlantic Puppy-Grinding Company.
        "It may  be cruel, but think of the jobs!"