Space Jockey disassembly

Subject: Space Jockey disassembly
From: "Dennis Debro" <debrodennis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:01:27 -0400
Hi there,

Here is my original posting to [stella_temp] as requested by Russ.

Here is a disassembly I had been doing off and on for a while. There's
really nothing new here. I did it because it was Garry Kitchen's first VCS
work. I like his games and thought I'd tackle this one to see how he
started.

Garry gives some background to his VCS coding during the CGE2K Activision
keynote speech captured by Bob Colbert (thanks Bob!). He said he learned to
program the VCS by reverse engineering the console using his Apple II. The
first game he disassembled was Outlaw and after doing that he did Space
Jockey. BTW, Space Jockey was originally a helicopter game but they wanted a
space game (probably sign of the times) so Garry dropped the helicopter.

I learned from my mistakes with Donkey Kong and this one compiles to the
exact ROM that's dumped on the net :-) I also compiled it before sending it
to make sure I didn't have any typos.

Take care,
Dennis