Re: [stella] Poll: What is everybody working on?

Subject: Re: [stella] Poll: What is everybody working on?
From: "Gonzalo Fernández" <horcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:22:11 -0300 (ART)
> > vertical position. I have to make seriuos changes to the kernel. I don't
> > know if it worths it.
>
> Oh, it's definetely worth it, trust me! ;-)
> what precisesly are the problems now?

I have a 2LK, so the sprites can move every 2 scanlines. I need the objects
to move every x frames (and 1<x<2 because x=1 is too fast). That's what the
first bin I sent do. You said that this looks bad. The last bin I sent
implements the extra line trick(remember?) to make a 1 line scroll and looks
smoother. But now the vertical position of the plane is affected by the
extra line (ahhh!). The solution would be to write the GRP0 in the first or
second line of the pair (2LK) according to the extra line routine, but
there's no time. I don't know if you understand me. Just in case, this is my
code:

           ldy #76
loop
           sta WSYNC    ;first line of the pair
           draw Bk and Pf
           sta WSYNC    ;second line of the pair
           draw P0,P1 and M0    ;2 times per frame this line is replaced by
a reposition P1 routine
           dey
           bne loop

How can River Raid looks that smooth in the scroll, even when the jet
accelerates?
All I can think now is that 2LK really sucks! Poor resolution sprites, bad
scrolling. There's no trick to compensate it (VDEL only works in a few
cases). But is the only way to do my kernel with that few lines of code.

--
Gonzalo Fernández.