Re: [stella] Variable flicker vs. intelligent flicker

Subject: Re: [stella] Variable flicker vs. intelligent flicker
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:48:16 -0700
I'd go one better than that. If the shape of the sprite is the same then there are cases when you can use 2 or 3 copies of the sprite instead of flicker. Super Football does that between plays. Not sure if any others do.

There is also a behavioral aspect to flicker reduction, i.e. making the movement routines be aware of potential flicker situations and trying to avoid them, but not resorting to absolute vertical separation.

The common theme here is Doug Neubauer's games. The Solaris source must have some good routines in there for this sort of thing.